Tuesday 24 May 2011

From One Book Lover to Another


Since I was a child, I have always loved reading. My bedroom at home is lined with bookcases, filled to overflowing with well-thumbed books. My passion growing up was always fiction – to quote Beauty and the Beast, “it’s my favourite: far off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, a prince in disguise!”. Needless to say, I am a big geek and very proud of the title.

In the past five years, I have expanded my personal library and literary tastes to non-fiction, and, to my everlasting delight, have discovered that they are every bit as interesting as fiction, if not more so.

In this post, I would like to share with you some titles that I have found interesting and applicable to International Development and related topics. They are a mixed bag of non-fiction and covers a wide variety of topics. In sharing these books with you, I must also share a disclaimer: many of these books have very politicized messages. Through my recommendation, I am not endorsing any particular book’s political message. I am merely directing you to an interesting read.

Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond: This Pulitzer-prize winning tome explores historical theories of development. Very interesting but also heavy – definitely not a light read.

Out of Poverty, by Paul Polak: This book discusses practical methods of eradicating poverty in the Global South, based on one man’s experience building a successful social enterprise. A quick and entertaining book full of real-life examples and applicable ideas.

America in the Age of Genocide, by Samantha Power: A moving analysis of genocides in the 20th century and the United States’ failure to act. This is a thick book but is easy to read, and very helpful in understanding contemporary political situations.

The Collapse of Globalism, by John Ralston Saul: Saul’s insightful book investigates the role of globalism in shaping our world today, and what it means for the future. This book is written for people already acquainted with development issues and global politics, so may be challenging for readers newly introduced to the field.

In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan: This book talks about the Western diet and our many dietary challenges. It uses a nice mix of rhetoric and applicable lessons in smart eating, but for that same reason may be off-putting: grocery shopping has become more challenging for me after reading this book, so approach with caution!

Spellbound, by Karen Palmer: I have only read ¾ of this book so far, but it is spellbinding. A description of witch camps and belief in magic in Ghana and Western Africa, written in an easy-to-read tone.

A Long Way Gone, by Ismael Beah: the very moving story of a young boy growing up in war-torn Sierre Leone, forced to become a boy soldier. This is a beautiful book that provides valuable insight into the effects of war on children.

Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali: an autobiographical book about a controversial political figure; Ali writes about her experiences as a Muslim woman and refugee. This book is fast-paced and fascinating, and I highly recommend it.

The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell: a very well written book that explores the spread and retention of ideas. A must-read for anyone working in any field!

King Leopold’s Ghost, by Adam Hochschild: a historic book detailing the role of King Leopold II of Belgium in the establishment and exploitation of colonial Africa. This is an amazingly well-written book that appeals to readers of many ages and genres.

Since this post is already very long, I will wrap it up with one last recommendation: if you like fiction, read Joseph Boyden’s Through Black Spruce and Three Day Road. These novels are about First Nation’s men from northern Ontario and their experiences. Beautiful and moving.

If you have any book recommendations for me, I would be thrilled to receive them! Please feel free to post titles for myself and other readers.

1 comment:

  1. I especially like the tipping point, its a very good book.

    ReplyDelete