Monday 20 June 2011

June Update


As of today, there are 79 days until I leave for my field internship. Time flies so quickly! Here’s a very quick update on what’s going on with my placement details:
  •  I have received my plane ticket and am flying out on September 8, 2011 from Toronto to London, followed by a full day layover, then a flight to Accra. It’s a round-trip ticket, and I shall be returning the same way on April 21, 2012.
  •  I have an appointment with a travel clinic to get all the necessary vaccinations: yellow fever, meningitis, typhoid, and boosters. In addition, I must learn about and choose malaria prevention methods, which will not be easy: some malaria prevention medications can cause depression, anxiety, mood swings, nightmares, hallucinations, and psychosis. Very pleasant!
  • I need to extend my OHIP coverage and UW travel and health insurance.
  • I need to set up a new bank account that will be accessible from my placement.
  • I must apply for my travel visa (only once I get my yellow fever vaccine though).
  • We have established a student group called INDEVOURS to fundraise for our placements. Please learn more about us and donate at the INDEVOURS blog or at our website here.
I think a lot of my nervousness will disappear after I talk to the travel clinic  about malaria, yellow fever, typhoid fever, dengue fever, and any other illness to which I may be susceptible. Illness could so easily ruin the experience that it is my biggest concern. Plus, I hate needles.

1 comment: