Sunday 6 March 2011

Welcome!


Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!

The purpose of this blog is to share information about my exciting upcoming internship. I will be spending 8 months in Ghana, West Africa, working with the A Rocha organization in the northern city of Damongo on reforestation projects. This is an unpaid placement facilitated through my studies in the International Development program at the University of Waterloo.

There are so many things I’d like to talk about (write about? blog about? I need to get this terminology down pat!), but I’m hoping to approach this blog in a semi-organized fashion. The aim of this entry is to help you get to know me.

I am a Canadian citizen, born and raised in the northern city of Timmins, Ontario. Timmins has an approximate population of 45 000 and is located about 700km north of Toronto. Growing up in a small northern community has definitely shaped the way I see and experience life. It’s also influenced my interests – I love camping, hiking, sailing, canoeing, kayaking, and downhill skiing. I also enjoy playing piano, acting, movies, and board games. I am an avid reader and will read anything – in a future entry I intend to post a list of recommended reading for people interested in learning more about my field of study.

In high school I became very interested in youth leadership initiatives, and this interest slowly evolved into a fascination with development issues. I hope someday to return to my hometown and work on issues facing First Nations’ communities in the North. This interest is what steered me towards choosing the International Development program at the University of Waterloo as my undergraduate program. More on this in my next post!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I hope you continue to check in and experience my upcoming adventures with me. Please feel free to post comments or questions – I want to hear from you!

Tallia

No comments:

Post a Comment