Wednesday 9 March 2011

Where I’m Going and What I’m Doing There - Learning to Go With the Flow


Hello everyone,

Yesterday I met with the INDEV placement co-ordinator to discuss my placement. Who, what, where… Wow. 

Before I begin, I should explain: I love information. I love planning. I love knowing what’s going to happen before it happens. That being said, INDEV is a program best-suited for people who can roll with the punches and adapt quickly. I’m pretty good at adapting, but there’s always room for improvement. As I progress through this program, I’m learning how to relax and go with the flow, instead of demanding to know everything NOW.

The reason I need to explain this is that a lot of the details surrounding my placement are still undetermined. Work places operate differently in Africa than in North America. If we were establishing this placement with an organization in North America, 3 dozen emails would have flown between us, a detailed job description would have been developed, and I would already be researching the details. Information and planning, NOW. A Tallia specialty.

In Africa, as my placement coordinator patiently explained to me, things operate differently. Communications are conducted orally, between people who know each other, not strangers. My job description will evolve naturally once I’m in Ghana, working at the job. I will be tackling tasks as they come up. Adaption and going with the flow – not the most challenging thing ever, but when you’re heading to a developing country, not the easiest either.

So here’s what I do know. I’ll be working with A Rocha, a Christian not-for-profit environmental conservation organization. Yes, that is a lot of adjectives. Basically, A Rocha is dedicated to developing a healthy relationship between people and the planet by managing natural resources through sustainable actions. A Rocha is an international organization with offices in Ghana.

A Rocha Ghana has three locations in Ghana: in the capital city, Accra, the second largest city, Kumasi, and a small northern city, Damongo. I will be travelling between the cities of Kumasi and Damongo, residing predominantly in Kumasi. I will be working with both offices on various aspects of their reforestation projects. While my role will not be fully determined until I arrive in Kumasi, so far I know I will be involved in project documentation and record keeping, and communications between A Rocha and community groups.

I am both excited and nervous for this placement – it is going to be such an amazing experience, living and working in a new environment. In my next entry, I’m going to write more about Ghana and the area I’ll be working in – be prepared for elephants, hippos, and much more!

In the meantime, if you’re interested in learning more about A Rocha or A Rocha Ghana, follow these links:


Below are maps of Africa and Ghana. On the Ghana map, the red circles indicate the locations of A Rocha offices – Damongo is too small to show up on this map, so it is label-less.



3 comments:

  1. As another INDEV student and a perfectionist, I completely understand the frustrations of having huge gaps of missing information and wanting to know answers when there simply are none. But your'e exactly right - the field of international development is all about being able to adapt and go with the flow. Looks like it's something we'll have to get used to! But hey, what fun would it be if we knew completely what to expect? Looking forward to hear more about your placement.
    - Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tallia!

    Thanks for the information about your project, it does sound exciting. And you know, I am in the same boat about the whole planning/organizing and making important decisions - I love to do it. I've decided to turn my energy towards researching for scholarships and trying to secure funding, because it's something concrete that I can influence at this stage in the game. Hopefully as we get closer to our placements we will be more involved in the planning process!

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tal, I didn't realize you'd be posted so far from the coast! Hopefully the program allows you the time to explore Accra on your days off. I would imagine taking in the full 'Ghana' experience would really aid a future international developer like yourself.

    ReplyDelete